During the colonial period this newspaper was known firstly as "The Copperbelt Times" and then "The Northern News". It was a twice-weekly newspaper aimed at a European readership.
In 1943, a small printing plant owned by Mr Roy Lentin, situated in Ndola, was sold to Mr Edward Brockman Hovelmeier (1908-2005) and Mr. Wykerd for the purpose of printing small items in their spare time.
The plant was of a very limited size, comprising two small platen printing machines, other subsidiary items such as a small paper cutter (guillotine), stapler, stitcher etc., also three or four cabinets of type of various fonts and sizes. They commenced with production of invoices, cards, small leaflets and other items however their range was limited by the size of the small platen printing machines. Shortly after opening they bought a Phoenix press which enabled them to print larger pieces and eventually a newspaper.
They were fully occupied with setting for job printing, when they were cajoled by ambition and desire to help Mr. Roy Welensky into starting a weekly newspaper the “Copperbelt Times”. There were difficulties with this as their facilities, particularly in the setting of the type, did not allow for this increase in operations.
It was later owned by the South African newspaper chain Argus. Under the ownership of Tiny Rowland's company Lonhro, it was renamed the Times of Zambia on 1 July 1965 and Richard Seymour Hall was appointed editor.
The newspaper has its headquarters at Kabelenga Avenue in Zambia's second largest city Ndola.