Mediclinic International, founded in 1983, is an international private hospital group with operations in South Africa, Namibia, Switzerland and the United Arab Emirates, and listed on the JSE, the South African securities exchange, since 1986. The Group's head office is based in Stellenbosch, South Africa.
Mediclinic is a private hospital group with three operating platforms in Southern Africa (South Africa and Namibia), Switzerland and the United Arab Emirates. Its core purpose is to enhance the quality of life of patients by providing cost-effective acute care specialised hospital services.
Mediclinic was founded in 1983 when its chairman, Dr Edwin Hertzog, was commissioned by the then Rembrandt Group (now Remgro Group) to undertake a feasibility study on private hospitals in South Africa. Three years later Mediclinic, boasting four hospitals with 691 beds in commission and three hospitals with 688 beds under construction, listed on the JSE Limited, the South African stock exchange. Today, Mediclinic Southern Africa operates 49 hospitals throughout South Africa and three in Namibia with more than 7 600 beds in total; Hirslanden operates 16 private acute care facilities in Switzerland with more than 1 600 beds; and Mediclinic Middle East operates two hospitals and ten clinics with 382 beds in the United Arab Emirates.
Most specialist disciplines are available at the group's hospitals, which are supported by more than 26 000 staff members - with Mediclinic Southern Africa employing more than 15 800, Hirslanden more than 7 900 and Mediclinic Middle East more than 2 200 employees.
Our vision is to become the benchmark of international private healthcare. Therefore we put science at the heart of our care approach. Our focus is on providing the best possible facilities with international-standard technology, which is backed-up by sound medical expertise and the empathy of our nursing staff.
- Type of Organisation / Business:
- Public Company
- No of Employees:
- 12 000
- Founded By:
- Key People:
- Edwin Hertzog M.B.Ch.B., M.Med., F.F.A. (SA) - Chairman (Non-executive)
- Danie Meintjes B.PI. (Hons) - Chief Executive Officer
- Craig Tingle B.Sc. (For), B.Compt. (Hons), CA (SA) - Chief Financial Officer
- Ronnie van der Merwe M.B.Ch.B., D.A. (SA), F.C.A. (SA) - Chief Clinical Officer
- Mediclinic Southern Africa Koert Pretorius B.Compt., MBL - Chief Executive Officer
- Hirslanden (Switzerland) Ole Wiesinger (German) Ph.D., Postgraduate Studies in Health Economics - Chief Executive Officer